When you hire an immigration attorney, do you have to pay all his fees upfront before he files the case ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Wichita, KS

Hello , I am still in school , i met my wife and we got married a few months ago , I am on F - 1 visa and my wife is American , I could fill out the forms myself , its not that hard but i feel my comfortable to have an immigration lawyer to do it for me and file my SOS case , we have talked to a couple so far , they want all their fees upfront before they file the case , I offered to pay half of it right now , and the rest when i guarantee he comes to the interview with us or at least i get the receipt , but they told me that no lawyer would mail your case to LUSCIOUS before he gets all the money he wants upfront ! ! is this true ? what if I am a student now and i want to pay the fees in three payments , can i find a lawyer to work with me ?

USCIS

1. Alena Shautsova

Pro

1

7

Answered . It's all about a contract between you and an attorney. Both of you can negotiate the price and payment plan, but none of you is obligated to accept the offered terms.

2. Gen Kimura

3

Answered . You can always ask attorneys a payment plan.

3. Rebecca T White

3

Answered . Attorneys may have differing fee arrangements. You may try on aila.org or avvo to find other attorneys that may assist you. If I can be of further assistance please let me know.

4. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . What fees have to be paid when depends on what the retainer with the attorney states.