When you have a judgement entered against you, and it is filed in the courthouse, Does the judgement have to be renewed

Texline, TX |
Filed under: Judgment lien Lien

No lien is filed against the property itself, I just wanted to know if there was a statue of limitations on a judgement or does it stay there forever.

1. Judgments in TX are valid for 10 years and can be revived.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155. Our web address is: www. corbin-law-office.com. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

2. Judgments have a "statute of repose", which is similar to a statute of limitations. The statute of repose for judgments governs when the judgment will expire, and this will vary by state. After the statute of repose has passed, the plaintiff (or judgment holder) would need to file a "motion to renew" in order to extend the judgment. In my experience, plaintiffs do not always file the motion due to their own financial considerations--when a small amount is involved, they may not choose to pursue and pay a second filing fee. In Florida, where I practice, judgments expire after 20 years. Your signature indicates that you reside in Texas, so if your judgment was entered in Texas you would need to consult with a Texas attorney or other reliable source regarding the statute of repose for judgments in your state. Again, each state is different. A consumer attorney in your state would be able to share his or her experiences with you regarding this issue.

This communication is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship between you and Erik Kardatzke.Attorney Erik Kardatzke is licensed to practice in the state of Florida. You should consult a local attorney for advice regarding your individual situation--every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question.

3. As mentioned previously a judgment in Texas is good for 10 years but can be renewed for another 10 years and so on. The renewal process in Texas is fairly simple for the creditor so long as it's done within the 10 years. You mentioned that no lien is against the property itself. A judgment lien in Texas automatically attaches to all non-exempt property that you have after an abstract of judgment is filed. I'm not sure if this is what you mean by having it filed at the courthouse. Filing an abstract of judgment is a separate step taken by many creditors to create a lien. If the property you reference is your primary residence with a properly filed homestead exemption in place prior to the judgment then the lien does not technically attach but may still cloud title on the property. More information is needed to properly advise on the situation.

My comments are not legal advice and are for informational purposes only.