When you file for unemployment benefits should your claim be dated the day you are applying or the day you became unemployed?

Katonah, NY |

I recently became aware I could be entitled to unemployment benefits, I have been out on a work related injury for three years and someone explained that I could apply and be eligible. I was denied because I said that I was unaware that I could be eligible and the dept of labor stated that, the reason was not valid because I could have called them. This is correct but if I wasn't aware of this service then why would I inquire. That is why I inquired after I was told by someone. So my current claim was denied due to not having wages but it seems to me that the representative at the labor dept gave me misinformation about the date of original claim. Should I have or could I have dated my original claim to three years ago?

1. Unemployment only lasts for 6 months from the date you last worked. If you are on workers comp for more than 6 months, you do not qualify for unemployment benefits.