When will we receive I 797, Notice of Receipt from USCIS?

Asked over 3 years ago - Olympia, WA

My husband (a US Citizen) and I filed for my green card on 01/20/2011 and it was delivered on 01/21/2011 (express mail). I came here on an F1 visa and graduated in 2010. I was on OPT while we filed for the petition. I forgot to mention my email address on the cover letter. We have not yet received the I 797, Notice of Receipt. I am worried. Please help!

Here are the list of forms we sent:
Adjustment packet
I 485
I 130
I 864
G325A (for my husband and myself)
I 693
I 131
I 765 (I reapplied for work permit under GC as the OPT work permit is conditional-i.e.working within my field of study).

We sent all the necessary copies of documents as on the instructions in every form. Tax documents, passport copies, F1 visa copy, I20, admission letters to grad school, diploma, I 94, OPT card, previous i 797 (during OPT application), passport size photos, marriage certificate, joint tenancy, joint finances, 4 photographs as supporting evidence, social security application approval letter, previous tenancy in USA, my husbands admission letter to grad school (where we met 2.5 yrs ago), separate checks for i 485 and i 130. We put each application form in individual envelopes ( and clipped ) with documents and everything went into one big application packet.

I hope we did not miss anything.

Thank you for your help!

1. Andre R. Olivie

Best Answer

Answered . Its only been 8 days. I have filed cases like yours and not received any receipt notice for 3-4 weeks. Be patient. If you get no notice in 3 weeks, call the USCIS customer service. In fact, by coincidence, I filed a marriage adjustment of status packet on that same day, and have not received a receipt notice. I did however mail it with a return receipt so I know that the lock box facitility received it.

Andre Olivie, Esq.
    Seattle Immigration Attorney
    (206) 724-1940

2. Seeta Lakshmi Nangia

Answered . Sometimes it can take a few weeks to get a receipt notice. If you need to go over your application with an immigration attorney to make sure you did not miss anything, please feel free to give me a call.

Seeta L. Nangia, Esq.
    Law Offices of Seeta Nangia
    Exclusively Practicing Immigration Law
    Phone: (415) 273-9123
    Email: seeta@nangialaw.com
    Website: www.nangialaw.com

Offices located in San Francisco and Berkeley

3. Shiva Pal Gill

Answered . You'll get is soon. Don't worry.