When will these derogatory items come off of my credit report? Do I set up payment plans with them or let statute run out?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lowell, MA

Not sure when these items will come off or if I should do anything? Trying to improve my credit.

For example:
Opened: 10/08/2006
Reported: 09/10/2009
Responsibility: Individual

and also,
if I paid a creditor through court - can I dispute that it is still on my report or does that have to be there for 7 years regardless if it was paid?

In the meantime, what can I do to bring up my score with these collections on here? I have had a secured c/c since Nov. 2012 and haven;t been late - also I have a car payment that I've used the same lender for the past 6 years and never been late either. The new loan (since Dec. 2011 ) is also in good standing.

Additional information

also, what is an affidavit of noncompliance if I defaulted on a payment arrangement to a collection agency?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The derogatory items are not going to come off by themselves and, if you do not defend against the action, default judgment will enter against you. That will also become part of your record.

    The best way to bring up your score is to settle past debts and keep current on new obligations.

    The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I must respectfully disagree with my colleague. Federal law requires that information be removed from your credit report after a certain period of time. Here is a link to the time periods applicable to various types of information that commonly appear on a consumer report: http://www.ohioconsumerhelp.com/sub/obsolete-CR....

    Note: the time may be LESS under your state's law, if any. But it can not report any longer than the periods indicated at the above link without running afoul of federal law. If it does report longer, you may have a claim entitling you to monetary damages.

    The statutory period under which a debt may be collected through a civil action may be longer or shorter than these periods. But anytime you are being sued for a debt, or being dunned, whether you believe you may owe that debt or not, you have legal rights. I would strongly suggest you speak to a consumer advocate in your area to explore those rights and the best course of action in your situation. www.naca.net has an attorney search feature that will be useful to you to that end.

    All the best to you.

    Availing yourself of the opportunity to submit a question and receive answers to your question does not confer an... more
  3. Answered . An affidavit of noncompliance will allow the creditor to remove you from a court-sanctioned payment program and get a judgment that will allow the creditor to step into the phone booth and emerge with a cape and a big red S on his chest as "judgment creditor" with access to all the court's post-judgment remedies, including garnishment and levying on assets. Not good.

    As for the rest ... there's really not room here to explain everything you should learn in order to make the right moves.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,824 answers this week

3,718 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,824 answers this week

3,718 attorneys answering