When will be the first time I get drug tested after being arrested for possession?

Wayne, NJ |

I just got arrested on Tuesday and have my first court appearance next Thursday. When should I be clean and when will I receive my first drug test. Will it be when I go on probation?
Also can a lawyer represent two people from the same incident. Me and my girlfriend both got possession charges that night for the same drugs.

If you have not been tested as of yet than the first time that you'll be tested most probably will be if and when you would enter probation. I would urge you very strongly to hire an attorney who is experienced in these areas of law. There are many things that need to be evaluated and assessed before you should even consider accepting any type of plea offer or entering into a diversionary program. Your attorney has to examine whether or not there was probable cause for the stop, for the police to be able to get you out of the car and speak to you, the search itself, and if any statements you made were inadmissable. It is very tempting to try to take a quick plea or enter into a diversionary program in order to get this entire episode over with as soon as possible. However, this is not necessarily the correct path to take. There are many ramifications of these two choices which could want you later on down the law. It is always better to consult with an attorney to make sure that whatever choice you're making is one which is both informed and takes into account possible future ramifications. Contact abattorney as soon as possible to be able to review your case and determine the best way to move forward.

CALL US AT 855-578-0449 TO ARRANGE FOR A CONSULTATION IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER PLEASE INDICATE YOUR APPRECIATION BY SELECTING IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Law Offices of Benjamin G. Kelsen, Esq. LLC 1415 Queen Anne Road, Suite 206, Teaneck, NJ 07666 Phone: 201-692-0073/ Fax: 201-692-0151 Web Site: www.kelsenlaw.com / Email: bgkelsen@kelsenlaw.com NOT LEGAL ADVICE: The above information may contain an opinion which does not constitute legal advice. Unless a retainer agreement has been signed, we are not your legal representatives, and you should not rely on any opinions contained in this message.

Both you and your girlfriend need separate attorneys. There would be a conflict to represent you both.
As to the drug test, you won't be drug tested unless there is a conviction. Right now you need to retain an attorney. Do this before your scheduled court appearance.
Don't discuss the details of your case until you speak to an attorney in person and confidentially so you can be further advised. Good luck on your case.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented. Also, please be advised that any response to any comments made by the asker do not create an attonrey client relationship.

You won't be drug tested until you are convicted or enter a diversionary program, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get clean. Each of you needs your own lawyer. You didn't mention what type of drugs, but no matter what you need a lawyer and the sooner you hire one the better.

The courts view it as a conflict of interest to represent co-defendants. It is technically possible to waive the conflict, but the court will resist the idea and it is not a good plan anyway. It is important each if your interests and cases are separately analyzed and advocated for. As already indicated you will not have to worry about testing until after a conviction and sentencing or entering a diversionary program, probably months from now. You should each talk to an attorney about your cases. Good luck.

Most courts will not allow a conflict representation but that can be worked out. No drug test until the probation begins.