When will an insurance company stop representing a guilty defendant?

Huntington Beach, CA |

I had my neighbors arrested for threatening me and trespassing into my house. I am suing them for 250K for trespass, IIED, and nuisance. The insurance company is defending them under reservation of rights. It has been dragging on for over 6 months and they refuse to settle. Trial is in April. Recently, the judge denied def's reassignment motion and made it clear that punitive damages are in play. At what point may the insurance company exercise their exclusion rights? Their client is guilty, there are damages, and they are just racking up legal fees. Would they defend a guilty policy holder through a jury trial?

1. "Would they defend a guilty policy holder through a jury trial?" -- Yes. That may very well be their legal obligation. After the trial results in a judgment, they may also be on the hook to represent the defendant in an appeal depending on the judgment. If you want a settlement, you probably need to substantially lower your expectations. I am surprised, given your stated facts, you are not facing a cross-complaint. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

2. Looks like your answer depends upon policy of insurance company and upon its terms. There is no way you can influence the company in this issue.

DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only. It doesn't constitute legal advice. This answer doesn't create attorney client relationship.

3. The insurance company and its obligation to the Defendant should not affect you and how your case proceeds.