Skip to main content

When u sign power of attorney so your sister can sign for school purposes for my kids does she have the right to file income tax

Augusta, GA |

On them they wanted to go to school in south ga. So I signed power of attorney for school purposes for my kids does my sister have the right to file income tax in them

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Powers of attorney CANNOT be used to enroll children in school, nor can they be used to gain a tax deduction. Did you perhaps sign a guardianship? Without accurate facts it's impossible to answer you.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


Initially, my answer to your question would be no absent other agency related documentation in full force & effect. However, I need to know more. That's where you come in. If you would like to speak with me, my your wish is my command. I can be reached @ (404) 468-4689. Take care.

Sam Levine, Esq.
Attorney at Law


I agree with Attorney Ashman. It is difficult to know what type of paperwork you signed without seeing the paperwork. You could have signed guardianship papers, which would give very different powers than a power of attorney would. What the guardianship papers would allow your sister to do would depend on what they said. I recommend you consult with an attorney.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer