When to approach an attorney for N400 - Naturalization delay?

Hi, It's been 182 days since my Naturalization interview, the officer handed over a RFE notice to which I responded within 10 days. It was also received by the Officer, but he neither updated it online case status nor taken next step on my case. I made 2 Infopass appointments in which I got very rude response from a USCIS supervisor, who just said they've received the documents & it's upto the Officer to process my case. Did couple of Tier 2 requests - no updates, finally I've now written to Congresswoman 2 weeks back, but no updates yet. How long should I wait to take next step? If things doesn't work with Cong, inq., does this mean I've exhausted all other administrative inquiries? Will things work, if I work with an attorney to get my case processed & how long does it take to process?

Chicago, IL -

Gunda Johanna Brost

Gunda Johanna Brost

Immigration Attorney - Cedar Falls, IA

I am really sorry that you've been through such a hassle! I think most attorneys can certainly identify with your frustration in dealing with agency delays. Since the infopass did not appear to work, and your phone calls and requests have gotten you nowhere and even tried congressional help, it seems as if you have truly exhausted all your means of recourse EXCEPT for getting a good immigration attorney involved. You should really consider hiring one for your own peace of mind. An immigration attorney can compel the government to adjudicate your case by filing what is called a mandamus action. Since you've been waiting this long, with all the run-around, whatever fee the attorney would charge seems well worth finally getting this resolved so you can become a citizen, don't you agree? Chicago has many great immigration attorneys to choose from. Talk to a few and see with whom you get on with and then make a decision. Good luck!

J Charles Ferrari

J Charles Ferrari

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

Option 1: continue waiting
Option 2: do an InfoPass
Option 3: retain an experienced immigration attorney.

Jeff L. Khurgel

Jeff L. Khurgel

Immigration Attorney - Irvine, CA

It is definitely high time to have an attorney look into this for you and look into how to move your case along.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Immigration Attorney - Chicago, IL

File a Mandamus?

Wendy Rebecca Barlow

Wendy Rebecca Barlow

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

You can either continue waiting or move forward with the assistance of an immigration attorney. An immigration attorney can review the case and determined if it is best to try the resolve the matter through administrative channels or seek review in federal court.

Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Immigration Attorney - Pasadena, CA

An attorney can file a lawsuit to compel a decision on your long overdue case. When all else fails, consult one.