When to apply for USA visitor visa (B1/B2) extension?

Asked 10 months ago - San Jose, CA

My mother has been living with me in USA on B1/B2 visitor visa. I want to apply for her visa extension so she can stay with me for 6 months more after her current stay period of 6 months ends ( in mid January 2014). When should I apply for her visa extension? Is it too early to apply for it now? How long does it take to process the extension request. She has the available funds for the extended stay. She is going through chiropractic treatment since one month which will complete in December this year. I have not been able to take her to visit places because of her treatment. Will this be a valid reason for applying for visa extension? Please advise. Thanks.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . Before the current I-94 expires.

2. Aneliya M. Angelova

Pro

2

Answered . Make sure you apply before her current status expires. Generally, you are supposed to apply as soon as you know you will need an extension. Submit all supporting documents required. Good luck!

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.
  3. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

2

Answered . Apply before I-94 terms and present compelling documentation of her intended stay in the U.S.

4. Maria J. Marty

1

Answered . It might, the reason needs to be compelling. Not sure if her getting chiropractic treatments is compelling, they could say go to your home country to get those unless her chiropractor says she can't travel. You might want to wait until you are closer to the January date since she is in lawful status while the extension request is pending. If her extension is denied post January 2014, however, she will be expected to leave the country immediately.