Skip to main content

When to apply for the US citizenship when being married to the US citizen?

Schaumburg, IL |

Shall I apply for US citizenship after 3 years since we got married or since the first green card was issued? and how long approximately it takes to obtain citizenship? Thank you for your answer.

Attorney Answers 3


3 years from the date the first green card was issued. It should take about 6 months.

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:

Mark as helpful

6 found this helpful

7 lawyers agree


Three years from the date conditional resident status was granted. Provided you are still together.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

5 lawyers agree


You are eligible to apply three years after the conditional green card was granted. However, you must still be married.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics