Skip to main content

When to apply for a permanent green card?

Schaumburg, IL |

Me and my husband got married in February, and I got a temporary 2 year green card in July. When should I reapply for permanent green card? in February, when its will be two years of our marriage or in July, when my temporary GC will be expiring? Thank you!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Within 90 days of your card expiration. But note, you will not be reapplying for a green card; you'll be applying to remove conditions on your green card by using form I-751 and supporting evidence.

The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an attorney prior to making legal decisions. Visit us at Contact us at 713.335.5505 or email at Veronica Tunitsky offers in-person, as well as telephone and email consultations.


You will need to file within ninety days 'before' the two year card expires. In addition, you may want assistance with the sworn statements as well as selecting appropriate documentation to verify that the marriage is in good faith. There are many experienced immigration attorneys in the Chicago area that can help with the process. This may make it easier for the USCIS to approve the petition. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


Within the 90 days before the 2-year card expires. Good luck! - 312.750.1368 - The information above is general in nature and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship between us. It is intended simply as background material, is current only as of its indicated date, and may not include important details and special rules that could be applicable to your case. You should consult an attorney directly before acting or refraining from action.

Daniel Warren Thomann

Daniel Warren Thomann


To be clear, you won't be "reapplying" for a new card, you'll be filing to have the conditions removed.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer