When should I petition to bring my parents to the US?

Asked about 1 year ago - Detroit, MI

Hi, My name is Sonny. I'm currently a green card holder (10 years green card). I and my husband want to bring my parents to the US as soon as we can. I don't know whether I should file for that right now or wait until I get the citizenship then starting to do the paper work. which way is faster?
I'm looking forward your responses.
Thank you so much.

1. Michael Hugh Carlin

3

Answered . You will need to become a US Citizen first. As a Permanent Resident, you are not eligible to petition for your parents. As soon as you become a US Citizen, you will be able to begin the process for your parents. Typically, naturalization takes approximately 5-6 months, and then the petition process for your parents will be approximately 8-12 months. I suggest that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney about these matters to have the best chance of success. Best wishes to you.

2. Lisa A. Tehlirian

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Permanent Residents cannot sponsor parents for immigrant visas. You must first become a naturalized citizen, then you can sponsor your parents.

3. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . There is only one way. You must be a US citizen in order to petition your parents.

4. Christine T Photenhauer

Answered . There is a MIRC Naturalization Clinic at Faith Lutheran Church in Troy on May 29th from 12-3. I will be there and we can answer basic questions on naturalization, what it means to file and how to get started. If your case has complications it is best to contact an immigration attorney. Best of Luck.