Skip to main content

When should I petition to bring my parents to the US?

Detroit, MI |

Hi, My name is Sonny. I'm currently a green card holder (10 years green card). I and my husband want to bring my parents to the US as soon as we can. I don't know whether I should file for that right now or wait until I get the citizenship then starting to do the paper work. which way is faster?
I'm looking forward your responses.
Thank you so much.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You will need to become a US Citizen first. As a Permanent Resident, you are not eligible to petition for your parents. As soon as you become a US Citizen, you will be able to begin the process for your parents. Typically, naturalization takes approximately 5-6 months, and then the petition process for your parents will be approximately 8-12 months. I suggest that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney about these matters to have the best chance of success. Best wishes to you.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


There is only one way. You must be a US citizen in order to petition your parents.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


I agree with my colleagues. Permanent Residents cannot sponsor parents for immigrant visas. You must first become a naturalized citizen, then you can sponsor your parents.

Lisa Tehlirian, Attorney -- Ellis Porter, PLC 2701 Troy Center Dr., 410 Troy, MI 48084 Phone: 248-519-9900 Fax: 248-519-9901 Email: For more information about current issues and developments in immigration law, visit my blog: The information provided on my blog and Avvo is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.


There is a MIRC Naturalization Clinic at Faith Lutheran Church in Troy on May 29th from 12-3. I will be there and we can answer basic questions on naturalization, what it means to file and how to get started. If your case has complications it is best to contact an immigration attorney. Best of Luck.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer