Skip to main content

When should I file for citizenship ? I have had my Green Card since May, 2007.

Hicksville, NY |

I got my Green Card through family sponsorship in May 2007. I have been visiting and staying in and out of US every year. I have been out of US for more than 6 months but less than 1 year for each calendar year since I got my greencard. I calculated my dates from my Indian passport and I'll be completing 30 months of physical presence in last 5 yrs ( 2009-2013) on GC at the end of this year i.e. Dec 31, 2013.
I don't own or have ever owned any property in US . I was wondering if I can file for citizenship once I complete 30 months of physical presence in US as I have had my Green card for over 5 years ?

Thanks in advance.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Discuss the reasons for your stay abroad via a confidential consultation with an experienced attorney to see if you qualify for naturalization.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

  2. I agree with my colleague. You should meet with an attorney

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

  3. Yes, you can.

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  4. I agree, schedule a consultation with an immigration attorney to discuss your eligibility.

  5. Yes-but you need the guidance of immigration attorney
    Good luck.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.