When should I apply for naturalization?

Asked over 1 year ago - Greensboro, NC

I completed 5 years in US having my permanent residence card since may 2008. I stayed in US for almost 43 months but I had a trips outside US as following
(1) from June 2008 to March 2009 (9 months)
(2) from June 2010 to November 2010 (5 months)
(3) from June 2011 to August 2011 (2 months)
(4) from December 2012 to January 2013 (1 months)

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Answered . You'll need to do the math yourself. To qualify you'll need to have been physically present in the US at least half the statutory period, i.e. at least half of the last 5 years, in total or aggregate.

It is the last 5 years that USCIS look at when determining physical presence.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . I agree with Attorney Behar.

3. Robert Louis Brown

Pro

4

Answered . There is a rebuttable presumption that if you are out of the US for more than six months you may have abandoned your resident status. If yo do not have that as an issue, in addition to being a resident for 5 years prior to filing you need to be in the US 1/2 plus one day of the time, no periods of over 6 months this may be rebutted, and 90 days in the jurisdiction of the place where you are filing.

919.225.3963
    immigration@rbrownllc.com
    www.brownimmigrationNC.com

4. J Charles Ferrari

4

Answered . When you meet all the requirements. You will either have to do the math yourself, or you will need to retain an experienced immigration attorney.