When settling an insurance claim without an attorney, do I have the right to give the adjuster time frames to respond?

Asked almost 4 years ago - La Crosse, WI

The insurance company said they will have an offer ready by this week. Once they give their offer and if I want to counter, can I give them 2 days to respond? Do they have to abide by my time frame?

1. Christopher Allan Doerfler

Answered . Many lawyers, such as myself, will gladly go over a case with you and offer you guidance and assistance during a free consultation. You could save yourself from being rolled over by a professional cheapskate (i.e., insurance adjuster) who actually knows what your case is worth.

Chris

Pro

1

4

Answered . Insurance companies settle claims with unrepresented parties at 11% of the money represented parties get. Just get a lawyer with a low contingency fee of 29%.

Click on the name of the lawyer answering your question to see their profile, and then you can click the view website tab to find out detailed information on your personal injury topic. The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

3. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

Answered . Certainly you can, but there is no guarantee that they will abide by your request. If you have any type of a bodily injury claim, it is probably best for you to seek the services of a personal injury attorney to assist you.

The sole goal of any insurance company is to pay nothing or as little as possible on your claim. The insurance carrier is neither your friend nor your good neighbor.

You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

4. Jonathan Craig Reed

Pro

Answered . Yes and the adjustor has the right to ignore your time frames and to walk all over you.

5. Jonathan Craig Reed

Pro

Answered . To elaborate on my quickie answer, the problem is that the insurance company is interested in doing two things with you: collecting information and locking you into certain positions or statements. You are a beginner up against a professional. In most cases an attorney will net you a larger settlement after attorneys fees. You certainly ought to take the advantage of consulting for free with a personal injury attorney if you have been hurt.

If on the other hand, you are only making a property damage claim you may not be able to get an attorney who works on a contingency fee. In that case you may be stuck handling the claim yourself. If that is the case, if you are dealing with your own insurance company, e.g., collision coverage, your own insurance company has more of a duty to deal with you in good faith than the other driver's insurance company.

6. Jeffrey Mark Adams

Answered . I concur completely with Attorney Reed. Certain matters you definitely don't need an attorney, but most matters you do. You are negotiating and they can agree to your terms and vice versa. Jeff Adams