When serving interrogatories (admissions, etc.) on the Defendants, do I send the request to their attorney, or to them directly?

Asked about 2 years ago - Lakewood, CA

I am trying to get some answers to questions of importance on the issues that will be tried. I am also opposing summary judgment. I wish I had thought of such questions to ask of the Defendants previously, but there is still about 3 months until trial (unless the trial is stayed because an interlocutory appeal is pending, and I think I'm going to have to ask for a stay). Anyway, who do I serve these interrogatory questions upon? And if they are not answered, how do I force the Defendants to answer these remarkably simply and straightforward questions well within the Defendants' personal knowledge? However, these Defendants I am asking, individuals, were dismissed, and only one corporation remains in the lawsuit as a Defendant! Can I still serve these non-parties with the interrogatories?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jeannette Charlotte Christine Darrow

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No, once parties are dismissed from a lawsuit, you cannot serve them with written discovery in the form of Requests for Admissions, Interrogatories, or Requests for Production of Documents.

    You may be able to take their depositions (which is very expensive since you will need a court reporter) and can potentially request that they produce certain records by having subpoenas issued and served with your requests. You can also try to informally interview them or have somebody else do so, but they are under no obligation to agree to that.

    Also, depending on who these people are, if they are employees or officers of the defendant corporation, there may be ways to craft interrogatories to the corporation so that the corporation must get the input of those persons in order to provide the responses.

  2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Nope.

    Attorney Darrow is correct.

    Once a party is dismissed, you can no longer serve them with written discovery such as Requests for Admissions, Interrogatories, or Requests for Production of Documents. However, you can subpoena witnesses for deposition, and ask them to produce documents at the deposition.

    Frank W. Chen has been licensed to practice law in California since 1988. The information presented here is... more
  3. Christa Renee Haggai

    Contributor Level 3

    Answered . If the Defendant is represented by counsel, the discovery request - interrogatories must be served on counsel for the defendant and any other parties/counsel who have appeared in the matter. If they are not answered within the time period allowed by law (30 days if personally served or 35 if served by mail) then you can make a motion to the court compelling them to answer the interrogatories. You can not serve interrogatories on non-parties. You can serve a deposition subpoena requiring them to sit for a deposition before a court reporter and answer questions under oath.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,552 answers this week

3,194 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,552 answers this week

3,194 attorneys answering