When seeking a new job, should I divulge my tax returns to prove my self-employment income to my prospective employer?

New York, NY |

I was recently asked over the phone to provide 7 yrs of tax returns to prove my self employment income as part of a pre-employment process at a large hospital in NYC. Is this an ethical and reasonable request?

Ethics not relevant. Request is unreasonable, especially for 7 years......never heard of such a thing. At the end of the day if you are asking for a salary and such salary is more or less than you were making in a prior life really has no bearing on what the employer has evaluated it is willing to pay a person with appropriate experience for the job posting. Seems to me that there must be some other reason you have not told us for the request as it does not compute as presented.

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained. Please click "helpful" or "best answer" if my answer added any value or add a "comment" if you have more info for me to help you get a better answer.

I assume you are asking for a certain salary. They are asking you to justify it.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Based upon the facts, this makes no legal sense. What type of opportunity is it?

Answers to questions posted on the AVVO website as well as content contained on The Sanders Firm, P.C., website is intended for informational purposes only. Nothing in such answers or the content contained on The Sanders Firm, P.C., website is to be considered as either creating an Attorney-Client relationship between the reader and The Sanders Firm, P.C., or as the rendering of legal advice for any specific matter. Readers are responsible for obtaining such legal advice in consultation with a licensed Attorney.

Recommended articles about Employment