When seeking a new job, should I divulge my tax returns to prove my self-employment income to my prospective employer?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I was recently asked over the phone to provide 7 yrs of tax returns to prove my self employment income as part of a pre-employment process at a large hospital in NYC. Is this an ethical and reasonable request?

1. John P Corrigan

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . Ethics not relevant. Request is unreasonable, especially for 7 years......never heard of such a thing. At the end of the day if you are asking for a salary and such salary is more or less than you were making in a prior life really has no bearing on what the employer has evaluated it is willing to pay a person with appropriate experience for the job posting. Seems to me that there must be some other reason you have not told us for the request as it does not compute as presented.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

4

Answered . I assume you are asking for a certain salary. They are asking you to justify it.

3. Eric Sanders

2

Answered . Based upon the facts, this makes no legal sense. What type of opportunity is it?