When requesting changes to visitation schedule, should I request changes, or find another counties guidelines to request?

Asked 9 months ago - Columbus, OH

I had a dissolution 5 years ago, the child visitation schedule is not working out for the residential parent or me. I am wanting to figure out specifically what I should attempt to change before communicating with the residential parent. Is it beneficial to request specific changes to our current plan, or if there is another county with guidelines that I believe would work better for both parties would that be a possible solution? Not sure if the judge would be bothered by the request of another counties standard visitation guidelines. For example: The county the dissolution took place requires me to give the residential parent any clothing, etc that I purchase for the children. I would like to keep these belongings at my house in the child's bedroom to be worn while they visit with me.

1. Linda Juergens Lawrence

Pro

3

1

Answered . You do not have to use court guidelines to come up with a new parenting schedule, terms or plan. If you think that the two of you can come to a agreeable solution, then you can propose that solution to the other parent. If you do not think you can reach an agreement, then I would speak with an attorney before discussing anything with the other parent.

2. Jeffrey Steven Hale

Pro

3

Answered . You do not have to make requests along the guidelines of any county or state. I always advise my clients that if you can sit down and work out a schedule that works for both of you, you will always be much happier than letting the court pick it for you.

The court does not know you or your children, so its always best to determine your own schedule.

3. Curt Perri Bogen

Pro

2

Answered . Court guidelines are simply proposals to serve as examples for more specific orders of companionship that benefit parties in a specific case. Switching guidelines from one county to another is not a way to convince a judge that there is some greater credibility to someone else's guidelines. If anything, you should propose your own specific order which best meets the needs of your child. Think about your work schedule, the work schedule the other parent, the schedule the child, and their specific needs. Write them out on the calendar and you will be able to put together a more detailed schedule which benefits all parties. Some schedules are regular. Some schedules are irregular. But they need to be custom designed for the needs of your family, and some schedules are very irregular. It depends on what you need to best meet the needs of your child. Be a little creative, think outside of the box, and Good Luck.

4. William Joseph Reynolds

Answered . If the two of you can agree on some other arrangement, you don't even have to go to the court if you don't want to. As I always tell my clients, there are no "parenting police" who are going to check and see if you're doing what your order says. If you can't agree, you'll have to involve the Court. Good luck.