When representing yourself in a criminal jury trial, do you sit on the stand and ask questions to yourself ?

Arlington, TX |
Filed under: Criminal defense

When representing yourself do you sit on the witness stand and ask questions to yourself like you are two different people ? do you stand on the floor and ask the question and then sit in the witness stand to answer ? how does this work ? if I choose to represent myself I don't want to look like a complete fool. and if you need to object to the prosecution while they are asking you questions, do you object from the witness stand ?

No. You ask the question from the well and then get on the stand to answer them. That way the jury will know who is speaking.

Alright, I know it's a sincere question. My comment is that one should not represent one's self. The things you think are important may be legally irrelevant, and while you would be given wide latitude in terms of the form of your questions, routine things like hearsay will still be inadmissible. Get a lawyer. That is the only answer to your question.

We are Serious lawyers for the Seriously injured. I am a co-author of WEITZ ON AUTOMOBILE LITIGATION: THE NO FAULT HANDBOOK. The opinions expressed in this answer are not legal advice. These opinions are thoughts based on New York practice. We have no attorney-client relationship. Conducting a conversation with me through the avvo comments section does not create an attorney-client relationship. Past results are not necessarily indicative of future performance.

I would echo the sentiment that you should hire representation. However if you do not one would generally testify in narrative form and not in a question and answer form.

The answering of this question does not constitute a attorney-client relationship. Further by answering this question the attorney has not agreed to represent inquisitor.

You provide a narration. Then you are asked questions by the prosecution. Yes, you object from the witness stand.

I am licensed in Pennsylvania. Members of my firm are licensed in various states, including Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. We handle cases involving personal injury (car accidents slip and falls, etc.,) medical malpractice, nursing home abuse, workers' compensation, social security disability and legal malpractice. Nothing I write on Avvo is legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in anything I write on Avvo without retaining your own lawyer in your state. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance.

thank you, I tried to mark this as helpful, but I am to my allowed limit for the month per avvo

One who is pro se would typically tell his story in the narrative form and then be subject to cross-examination in Q&A form.
It should be noted that this is one of the least complicated aspects of trial. It is not like television. The judge will not cut you much, if any, leeway. I strongly suggest hiring an attorney. Better to do it now than wish you had later.
Either way, good luck!

This statement is intended for general information and does not form at attorney/client relationship. If interested in representation please contact me at (817) 870-9885 to schedule a consultation.