When picking a jury doest the defendant have a say in who gets picked?

and what type/profile of people would you pick for a oui defense?

Salem, MA -

Keith G Langer

Keith G Langer

Criminal Defense Attorney - Wrentham, MA

Both sides examine prospective jurors in the process known as voir dire. Any juror can be excused for cause; each side also has a certain number of peremptory challenges.

If you are facing criminal charges, you will need an attorney. If you are indigent, the court will have appointed one for you. If not, you have - or should have - retained your own attorney. Either way, you should be discussing this with them; not here.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
Sponsored Listing
William A. Jones Jr.

William A. Jones Jr.

Criminal Defense Attorney - Wexford, PA

Defendants have a constitutional right to participate in the selection of their jury. There is no set profile for juror in a DUI case. Since you are anticipating a jury trial I assume you have an attorney. Ask him/her these kinds of questions. Your attorney should be the sole source of information and assistance to you. I would recommend that you not do your own legal research. If you are not comfortable with counsel you need to discuss that with your attorney, resolve it, or move on to another lawyer with whom you are comfortable.

Henry Lebensbaum

Henry Lebensbaum

Criminal Defense Attorney - Andover, MA

Yes, but this is complex. Hope you have an attorney.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Sponsored Listing
Corine K. Claxton

Corine K. Claxton

Criminal Defense Attorney - Worcester, MA

Although you have a right to participate in jury selection, it is unwise to conduct a jury trial without a lawyer. If you already have a lawyer, discuss jury selection with him or her before the trial. However, if you do not have a lawyer, hire one ASAP. Do not delay.

Robert D Lewin

Robert D Lewin

Criminal Defense Attorney - North Andover, MA

Rule 20 of the Massachusetts Rules of Criminal Procedure (available online) lays out the rules for picking a jury in a criminal trial. The direct answer to your question is YES, the defendant does have a say in who gets picked. Every day citizens are summonsed to Court for jury duty. This large group is called the jury pool. When the trial of a criminal case begins a number of people from the jury pool are brought into the courtroom. This group is called the "venire". From this "venire" the trial jury is chosen. In the District Courts and in the Boston Municipal Court the trial jury consists of six people. In the Superior Court the trial jury consists of 12 people. Both the Prosecution and the Defense participate in picking the jury. Both sides have the right to challenge prospective jurors. Both sides have unlimited challenges for cause. A challenge for cause is based primarily on a juror's bias for or against the state or the Defendant. For example, if a prospective juror was related to the Defendant (e.g. a cousin of the Defendant) then the state could challenge that juror for cause. Conversely, if a prospective juror was a good friend of the victim then the Defense could challenge that juror for cause. Peremptory challenges are challenges for which neither side has to state a cause. These are strictly limited. In the trial of a crime punishable by life imprisonment each side has 12 peremptory challenges. In all other criminal trials where there are twelve jurors each side is allowed 4 peremptory challenges. In all other criminal trials where there are six jurors each side is entitled to 2 peremptory challenges. The typical OUI case in a district court has a jury of six people; therefore, each side has 2 peremptory challenges. For each juror in the "venire" the prosecutor and the defense lawyer are given a juror information sheet (a questionnaire filled out by the juror ahead of time). The Defense lawyer and the Defendant have an opportunity to review these sheets as the jurors are called. Acting together the Defense lawyer and the Defendant can formulate a strategy as to which prospective jurors from the "venire" they will challenge. As to the second part of your question as to "what type/profile of people would you pick for a oui defense" 10 lawyers would probably give you ten different answers. Personally I prefer older jurors in an oui case. In my experience people under thirty find it easy to say guilty. People over fifty are much more skeptical of law enforcement. I hope this helps.

Robert D. Lewin, Attorney
LEWIN & LEWIN, ATTORNEYS
Offices in Malden and Andover serving all of Eastern MA
Tel. 781-322-2228
Fax. 781-322-6351
Email: rlewin@lewinandlewin.com
Website: www.attyrobertlewin.com

Mark M Cheser

Mark M Cheser

Criminal Defense Attorney - Union, NJ

I agree with my colleagues. I would retain an attorney to represent you before a jury. The attorney will discuss juror profiles with the client.

Carlos J. Jimenez

Carlos J. Jimenez

Personal Injury Lawyer - Boynton Beach, FL

Both sides participate in jury selection. You may want to consult a lawyer.

Joseph M. Pacella

Joseph M. Pacella

Criminal Defense Attorney - Springfield, MA

Yes. I agree with what has been said. A criminal defendant can challenge certain jurors as of right and others for cause. I would personally favor college age jurors and stray away from persons in the medical industry.

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.