When it says "Petition Filed. Summons Issued." on the divorce case, does it mean that husband has filed and sent a copy to me?

Asked over 2 years ago - San Bernardino, CA

I checked the case on the San Bernardino County public access report, and the last action/minutes says that. I was wondering if that means that he has sent a copy to serve me.

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

2

Answered . It means he filed the petition and a summons was issued. However, it does not necessarily mean that service of process has yet been effectuated. In other words, it does not mean that he has actually taken the next step of getting you served.

2. Diana Lucia Martinez

2

Answered . It means that he has filed a petition and the court gave him back the court stamped summons and petition so that he can serve you. "Summons issued" just means the court has stamped it and it can be served. A case has been opened. He must now have you served and once that is completed, he will have to file a proof of service with the court, at which time you will have 30 days to respond. But not until you are properly served.

I hope this response is helpful. If you have other questions, let us know. Good luck.

3. Donald Frederick Conviser

1

Answered . No - that is not what it means. It just means that he filed a Divorce case. If you want to accelerate the process, you can go to the Court where the case was filed, purchase a copy of the documents that were filed, and prepare, file and serve your Response and any associated documents that may be required. You would best at least consult with, if not retain, an experienced Family Law Attorney.

4. Ralph U. Whitten

1

Answered . THat's exactly what it means. He has filed and will attempt to serve process.