When it comes to burden of proof of the alien in immigration court, what would the judge be requesting or looking for from the

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

alien to prove that he married in good faith assuming that he is put in removal proceeding and found himself in front of the judge. Are the list of bonafide evidence of marriage the same for the immigration judges and the USCIS?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

26

Answered . The Judge does not decide the I-130 petition. The Judge will let the USCIS do so.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. F. J. Capriotti III

14

1

Best Answer

Answered . Mr. Shusterman is correct ...you're already playing the wrong 'game' if you are trying to prove bona fides to a judge.

Hire a lawyer ... you're in over your head and this is too serious to learn-as-you-go.

3. Simone Rosemarie Coley

14

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Please hire an experienced attorney to handle your case.

Simone Coley, Bachand & Bachand; 855-422-2426. 189 State Street, Suite 100, Bridgeport, CT 06604.
  4. Anu Gupta

Pro

12

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

5. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Pro

9

Answered . Generally, if you are seeing approval of an immigrant visa petition based on a spousal relationship, you must satisfy the USCIS, by a preponderance of the evidence, that you entered the marriage in good faith. If you entered into the marriage AFTER the commencement of removal proceedings, however, the burden of proof is "clear and convincing" evidence. The Immigration Judge does not have jurisdiction over the visa petition, but does have jurisdiction over any application for adjustment of status once the visa petition is approved.