Skip to main content

When is the earliest and reasonable date or month to ask my employer to start my green card process?

Madison, CT |

I need to ask my employer to start a green card process under EB-2 category for me. The problem is that I haven’t done my master degree yet. My master degree will be sent from the University by this December. In order to start a green card process the employer should work on a prevailing wage and other stuff which it usually takes a long time before I come into the picture. I need to get my green card as early as possible...Thanks!!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You should have a conversation with them as soon as possible so you can begin to work on what you need. And you should have a consultation with an attorney to help you as well.


You probably need to change jobs since your current employer hired you before you got a Masters degree.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


EB3 can be started immediately.
EB2 will require a change of jobs AFTER you have obtained the Master's degree

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case. Your employer can find one through

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Talk to your employer ASAP to see if they are even willing to sponsor you for a green card. Then take it from there. Hopefully they have their own immigration lawyer to advise about the process.

This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not intended to provide, nor does it provide, any legal advice.   By viewing this answer you understand and expressly agree that there is no attorney-client relationship between you and the attorney who authored the answer.  Should you need legal advice, please contact a licensed attorney who practices in this area.  Readers of this answer and the information contained herein should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking legal counsel.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer