When is the best time to take pictures of injuries for a personal injury claim?

Asked about 2 years ago - Edmonds, WA

I'd like to file a personal injury claim against a driver, and would like to know when the best time to take pictures of injuries is. Should I do it right after the injury, or wait until later when any bruises are biggest? Can I add more pictures later if more injuries crop up?

.

1. Susan J Holm

2

Answered . It is best to take pictures of your injuries right away, then as they heal to document both the more dramatic bruising that appears later and to document the overall healing. It's also a good idea to get pictures of your vehicle, showing any and all damage, both inside the car and the exterior from several different angles.

Insurance adjusters (yours and the other driver's) will probably want to talk to you and may offer money to resolve portions of your claims. Please strongly consider talking to an attorney before you talk to the insurance adjusters and certainly before signing anything. Several clients who thought, for example that they were only resolving a property damage claim, learned later that they had waived important rights to recover other benefits.

Please call me for a free consultation.

Sue Holm
    Leonard W. Moen & Associates
    947 Powell Ave SW #105
    Renton, WA 98057
    425-227-4260

2. Richard James Milham

1

Answered . Documentation in the form of pictures of your injuries is helpful to your claim. I would take them periodically throughout the healing process. Consult a competent attorney immediately to discuss how to present a claim. I always recommend that my clients wait till their injuries heal, or their medical condition stabilizes before considering trying to settle their claims. The statute of limitations on a personal injury claim in Washington is three years pursuant to RCW 4.16.080. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=4....

3. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

1

Answered . Early and often.

You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.