When is tax charged to the consumer? Before OR after the discount is applied?

Tampa, FL |

I am getting conflicting information on the internet about this. Some sites say that tax is charged BEFORE any discount is applied, some say AFTER a discount is applied. Then some say, if it is a discount offered by the company themselves then tax IS charged prior to the discount. Can someone clear this up for me? Also, is every State different or do they mostly follow the same laws when it comes to this common thing? I ask this because we are an answering service and have read that we must charge certain taxes, such as in Florida we must charge communications taxes, which is outrageous and in some states we only charge sales tax and some we charge nothing. So confusing to service so many States with so different variations of law. Need to be a lawyer nowadays to run a business:)

Every state is different, which is why the Internet folks are trying to fight paying sales taxes to the states, having to keep track of every comma and paragraph....I have often wondered whether, when taxed on the full amount, whether that extra $ actually makes its way to the Department of Revenue or isn't siphoned off some where.

I hope you found this response to be helpful. If so, your clicking "helpful" and/or "best answer" helps my Avvo rating and would be appreciated. This answer shall not be considered rendering legal advise but instead a general response to a general question. Avvo is a wonderful resource but nothing can substitute for an in-depth consultation face-to-face with a lawyer. The response shall not be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship, nor shall it create an obligation on the part of the attorney to respond to further inquiry from the questioner.

Each state is different. You need to comply with each state's laws where you are doing business. Many times you need multiple tax and legal professional that are licensed in multiple states. Best of luck to you.

This response is not intended to create an attorney client relationship. The response is solely intended to answer the question presented. Additional facts and issues are unknown to the responding attorney. Should you still have questions, legal assistance should be sought by making an appointment to meet with an attorney, rather than attempting to resolve the issue via e mail. This response is merely provided to give direction to assist you in the decision of whether you should contact an attorney or not. If this answer is helpful, or is the best answer please mark it accordingly. Good luck.

As other attorneys have stated, how and when state taxes are charged depends on the particular state's laws. It also depends on what you are selling. You mentioned in your fact pattern "communications taxes" which usually apply to telecommunication services -- which adds another layer of complexity to your case. Consider engaging a local tax attorney to assist you in negotiating these matters because sales taxes and communications taxes are charged on different things and reported on different forms.

Any comments posted on this site are for your general information and are not a substitute for professional legal representation. Please read the disclaimer below.

Anything contained in this response is for informational purposes only and neither the author nor The Ornelas Firm PLLC ("Firm") makes any representations as to the accuracy or completeness of anything contained in this response. Nothing herein shall be interpreted as legal advice from the author or the Firm, or as creating an attorney-client relationship between the solicitor and the author or the Firm. Neither the author nor the Firm will be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information. You should consult an attorney whenever confronted with a serious legal issue.

Tax law topics