When is it too late to report a colleague to supervisors after they offered me their prescription drugs at work?

I was offered prescription drugs by a colleague (who is on prescription drugs) at work over 45 days ago. This colleague has engaged in other harassing behavior towards me recently. I work in a government system / office. I would like to report this offense to my admin. (along with a few other harassing behaviors from this person) however, I recently heard that I can report such offenses within 30 days of not getting myself in trouble but after 30 days I may risk getting into trouble for not telling about this offense earlier. Can I report this to my supervisors w/o getting myself into trouble, or is it too late?

Lyndonville, VT -

Find Out More

Lars A. Lundeen

Lars A. Lundeen

Personal Injury Lawyer - Rutland, VT

You do not tell us what governmental office you work for. So-called reporting requirements should be available somewhere in writing if they exist. I am not aware of any statute in the State of Vermont that puts any kind of time limit on reporting, after which you would be in trouble for not reporting. You may be thinking of some kind of internal office policy.

Since this is an ongoing problem with this person, I would make a list of the things that have happened, along with the dates they occurred and sit down with a supervisor to discuss this ongoing, continuing problem.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
Meghan Hayes Slack

Meghan Hayes Slack

Employment / Labor Attorney - Arlington, MA

There is no law that I am aware of that would require you to report problems with your co-workers within 30 days. It would also be an odd office policy. See if you can find out where this rule is written. It may just be office folklore.