Skip to main content

When is it running a red light?

Saint Louis, MO |

At the intersection of Woodson Rd and St. Charles Rock Rd I got pulled over for running a steady red light. It was pouring down rain and I was following by brother who was in a uhaul. Long story short, the light was yellow until I was in the intersection. There was a police officer making that right turn onto Woodson and he pulled me over. So what constitutes running a red light? My ticket states a violation of ordinance 315.060 - Violated Electric Signal - Steady Red.

Thank you in advance

FYI...There are traffic cameras at that intersection, not red light cameras though.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Sounds like a ticket that you should contest since you entered on the yellow - however, the best person to consult is a local Traffic Ticket Attorney - many offer free consultations & know the local judges & court procedure. You can locate an attorney right here on AVVO by using the tool "Find a Lawyer" Good luck

    This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

  2. It depends on how the ordinance is worded but in general, if your vehicle is in the intersection when the light is red, that constitutes running a red light. You can hire a traffic law attorney to get this amended to a non-moving, no-point violation so it won't affect your driving record and your insurance company won't know about the ticket.

    The answers submitted on AVVO by The Rogers Law Firm, LLC d/b/a are for informational purposes only, do not constitute legal advice, are not intended to be advertising, and are not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up-to-date. The transmission of information on AVVO is not intended to establish, and receipt of such information does not establish or constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The reader should not act on the answers without first consulting legal counsel.

  3. Technically speaking, you might not have violated the law. The violation usually requires "entering" the intersection on red (though it varies from city to city). Practically speaking, it probably isn't worth fighting. Hire a traffic attorney. I expect they will advise you to plead down to a non-moving violation, pay the fine, pay the attorney, keep it off your insurance, and move on with your life.

    This answer is intended for information purposes, and does not constitute legal advice. It does not substitute for legal counsel, nor does it create an attorney/client relationship. The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics