When is it running a red light?

Asked over 1 year ago - Saint Louis, MO

At the intersection of Woodson Rd and St. Charles Rock Rd I got pulled over for running a steady red light. It was pouring down rain and I was following by brother who was in a uhaul. Long story short, the light was yellow until I was in the intersection. There was a police officer making that right turn onto Woodson and he pulled me over. So what constitutes running a red light? My ticket states a violation of ordinance 315.060 - Violated Electric Signal - Steady Red.

Thank you in advance

FYI...There are traffic cameras at that intersection, not red light cameras though.

1. Andrea R. Rogers

5

Answered . It depends on how the ordinance is worded but in general, if your vehicle is in the intersection when the light is red, that constitutes running a red light. You can hire a traffic law attorney to get this amended to a non-moving, no-point violation so it won't affect your driving record and your insurance company won't know about the ticket.

2. Matthew Christopher Heger

2

Answered . Technically speaking, you might not have violated the law. The violation usually requires "entering" the intersection on red (though it varies from city to city). Practically speaking, it probably isn't worth fighting. Hire a traffic attorney. I expect they will advise you to plead down to a non-moving violation, pay the fine, pay the attorney, keep it off your insurance, and move on with your life.

3. Michael R Crosner

2

Answered . Sounds like a ticket that you should contest since you entered on the yellow - however, the best person to consult is a local Traffic Ticket Attorney - many offer free consultations & know the local judges & court procedure. You can locate an attorney right here on AVVO by using the tool "Find a Lawyer" Good luck