When is it required by law to take a lunch break?

San Jose, CA |

If I regularly work over 5 consecutive hours (example 5 1/2 or 6 straight hours) and then I take my lunch break, is that illegal??

Can I go to the fair labor boar and file a cliam?

I have record's, indicating I have worked more that 5- 6 consecutive hours, before clocking out for my lunch. What can I do?

Your employer should have instructed you to clock out by the 5th hour of work for at least a 1/2 hour lunch break. That is the law. You don't state details such as whether you were instructed to work longer, or were not provided with relief to take a lunch break. It also depends on the type of workplace, such as office versus restaurant, etc... that may make a difference.

Thank You for your response. I work in an office. There have been time's where i was instructed and time's were, no one was able to relieve me of my duties. I the lead of a group of individual's, so until some of my daily deadline's are complete I am unable to take a lunch.

Statutory authority regulates your lunch breaks. The issue becomes very muddled when or if you voluntarily do not take the lunch or break when you have a right to take said time off. It is different than if your employer is prohibiting you from taking your lunch and/or breaks in a timely fashion, which would be actionable. If there is no such prohibition, and you are electing to take such action by and through your own elective decision, then your likelihood of success is rather dismal.

This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

Recommended articles about Employment