Skip to main content

When is it considered child abandonment of a non custodial parent?

Antigo, WI |

i was with my ex for 12 years and had 3 children i decided i could no longer take his abuse and he wouldnt leave and the only way i could leave safely was to sign my children over to him 2 days later he went to jail for tring to stab our room mate so i came home imediately for kids but i had no job and soon water was shut of and gas also so i called the only people that my children knew and i new they would be safe with was his parents but now its been a year and i havent been in contact i guess im scared so what should i do i have 2 boys and a girl there ages are 9, 6, 2

Attorney Answers 1


You abandoned the children to a dangerous man,and then left him with his parents? Now you want to regain contact? You do not post if your ex is still in jail. You can set up a visitation program with the children either by asking the grandparents or through a court order. You will not get residential custody however if you cannot care for them.

You might find my legal guide on selecting and hiring a lawyer helpful.
You might find my legal guide on Is it Legal? Is it Illegal? helpful.
You might find my legal guide on the understanding the different court systems helpful.
You might find my legal guide on legal terms used in litigation helpful.
(Even if you are not filing a lawsuit this information can be useful).

You might find Gabriel Cheong’s legal guide on the do and don’t of finances after a divorce helpful.
You might find my legal guide on divorce in general and in NJ helpful.
(Much of this information is valid for unmarrieds who have children together).

Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics