When is a credit card debt time barred from collection in the state of Florida?

Asked over 1 year ago - Kissimmee, FL

What is the process of removing these from one's credit report...debt that is mow time barred?

1. Steven Michael Fahlgren

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . You need to be careful. The statute of limitations varies from state to state. Some states have shorter statutes of limitations. Your credit card may be governed by the law of a state other than Florida. If so, the debt collector or creditor may be trying to collect a time-barred debt. I refer to them as "Zombie debts." For an article on other games that credit card companies play, go to http://fortheconsumer.com/article-credit-card-g... It would be best to look at the underlying agreement to make this determination. Once a determination is made that you could be sued for the debt, one should evaluate whether you are collectible, whether bankruptcy is an option, and whether the creditor has padded the debt with improper expenses or fees, etc. It might be a good idea to send the debt collector a validation request to request the underlying credit application and all contract documents, including any amendments so that you can best evaluate your options. The statute of limitations for credit cards in Florida is oftentimes four years, not five years, because the law recognizes these are statements of accounts rather than written agreements that have all the terms in them at the time of the agreement. I wish you the best in the future.

2. Sergio Cabanas

Pro

1

Answered . 5 years on a written contract, but may be sooner if the agreement indicates that the laws of another state may apply. This defense will have to be properly claimed as soon as the debt collector files suit.

3. Eric Jerome Gold

Pro

Answered . You are best suited with answers from Florida lawyers on your local statute of limitations. however, you need to be sure of which state law governs your credit card agreement. If, for example, it was CA, the statute of limitations would be four years. As for the second issue of removing the item from your credit report, the bureaus has time periods for reporting that do not mirrors statutes of limitation. So, just because a debt may be time barred from legal action, it may remain on your credit bureau reports.