When Im greencard holder Can I leave the US ?

I came to US on March 2010 for the first time and I got my permanent resident card , When I can apply for citizenship exam ? How long after March 2010 , and Can I leave the US during this time ?

Everett, MA -

Attorney Answers (3)

Gregory Romanovsky

Gregory Romanovsky

Immigration Attorney - Boston, MA

You can apply 4 years and 9 months from the date listed on your green card ("resident since") or 2 years and 9 months if you're married to a U.S. citizen.
Assuming you have no criminal record, short trips should not be a problem (your green card should be sufficient to let you back in), but if you plan to travel for a few months or longer, you should definitely consult an experience immigration attorney.
Good luck.

Robert Henry Beer

Robert Henry Beer

Immigration Attorney - Marietta, GA

You have not provided enough information for me to intelligently answer your question. Question # 1 - When was the date your green card issued?. Question # 2 - What was the basis for you obtaining a green card? ? I would urge you to retain my legal services or that of one of my colleagues. I can be reached at (770)955-1785 or via e-mail at bob@bobbeer.com. Hope this helps. Wishing you well. THINK IMMIGRATION - THINK BOB BEER

This communication does not create an attorney client relationship. If I can be of further assistance, please feel... more
F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Immigration Attorney - Portland, OR

I agree with Mr. Beer ... we don't have enough information. It could be 3, or 5 years that you need to have had the greencard before you can naturalize.
Yes, you can travel ... keep good records and don't leave for more than 180 days, preferably less than 90.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Related Advice

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.