When I was pulled over for dui I was asked to drive to another location, after stating I had had a drink, is that legal?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dahlonega, GA

I was pulled over & asked if I had been drinking. I said I had a beer , asked if I took any medication, also said yes. The officer then asked me to drive my car to a nearby parking lot with people & cars in it.

1. Benjamin David Goldberg

Pro

10

Answered . It may not be the smartest move if the officer suspected you were intoxicated, but it's not illegal. Of course, I would argue that he must not have been too concerned about your driving. Hire a lawyer to represent you ASAP.

2. Andrew Jared Richman

8

Answered . Ha. Obviously you were able to follow directions. Good case for the defense.

3. Noah Howard Pines

Pro

8

Answered . It is not illegal. Were you arrested?

4. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.

8

Answered . It isnot illegal, but t can be incredibly beneficial to your case.

5. George F. Mccranie IV

Pro

3

Answered . It is not illegal for the officer to instruct you to drive to a different location. However, if you were arrested for DUI - your defense attorney can use this information to show that you obviously were not a "less safe" driver because the officer ordered you to drive the vehicle in an area that had people in it. This is great evidence that an experienced DUI Defense Attorney can use as an effective part of your defense. I would advise you to hire the best DUI Defense Attorney that is available to you - ASAP! Good Luck, George McCranie www.mccranielawfirm.com

6. James Donald Garrett

4

Answered . If you were drunk or intoxicated, yes, it was illegal for you to be driving at all. Are you asking if the officer's actions will act to dismiss your case, no. Talk to a DUI defense attorney. They are trained to spot relevant and legally accepted defenses to DUI charges.

7. Maziar Mazloom

2

Answered . It is not illegal; but, it definitely helps your case especially if you refused field sobriety tests and the state administered test. Hopefully you have already hired an attorney! A knowledgeable, well versed DUI attorney can help your case!

One or more answers have been taken down.