When I was pulled over for dui I was asked to drive to another location, after stating I had had a drink, is that legal?

Dahlonega, GA |

I was pulled over & asked if I had been drinking. I said I had a beer , asked if I took any medication, also said yes. The officer then asked me to drive my car to a nearby parking lot with people & cars in it.

1. If you were drunk or intoxicated, yes, it was illegal for you to be driving at all. Are you asking if the officer's actions will act to dismiss your case, no. Talk to a DUI defense attorney. They are trained to spot relevant and legally accepted defenses to DUI charges.

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.

2. It may not be the smartest move if the officer suspected you were intoxicated, but it's not illegal. Of course, I would argue that he must not have been too concerned about your driving. Hire a lawyer to represent you ASAP.

3. Ha. Obviously you were able to follow directions. Good case for the defense.

4. It is not illegal. Were you arrested?

5. It isnot illegal, but t can be incredibly beneficial to your case.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. Any answer given assumes the person who asked the question holds a Georgia Drivers License, and this license is not a commercial drivers license (CDL). This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

6. It is not illegal for the officer to instruct you to drive to a different location. However, if you were arrested for DUI - your defense attorney can use this information to show that you obviously were not a "less safe" driver because the officer ordered you to drive the vehicle in an area that had people in it. This is great evidence that an experienced DUI Defense Attorney can use as an effective part of your defense. I would advise you to hire the best DUI Defense Attorney that is available to you - ASAP! Good Luck, George McCranie www.mccranielawfirm.com

The information provided in this response to a question is not legal advise and is provided only for general information purposes. My response should not be taken as legal advise as no attorney / client representation exists. Additionally, the information given in this answer is specific to the State of Georgia only and should not be applied to any other state.

7. It is not illegal; but, it definitely helps your case especially if you refused field sobriety tests and the state administered test. Hopefully you have already hired an attorney! A knowledgeable, well versed DUI attorney can help your case!