When I was 17 I agreed to pay a dorm cancellation fee online, can they force me to pay this?

Westland, MI |
Filed under: Credit Education law

I live in Michigan and when I was 17 years old I applied to a Michigan college and was accepted. I applied online to live in the dorms. In June, some 10 weeks before school started I changed my mind, wrote them to withdraw my application and enrolled in another college. The school refunded my application fee but now the first school is billing me for $300 for breaking my residential dorm agreement with them. They claim that I agreed to pay this cancellation fee and signed the contract online with an electronic signature. Can they hold me liable for this penalty?

Probably, the rule in most places is that minors can't make contracts, unless the contract is over necessities such as food or shelter. $300 isn't much to worry about though, to prevent future problems I would probably just pay it and move on.

This is AVVO, a place for users to obtain general legal information to general legal questions. I am glad to help you in any way I can, within those limits. I wish to make clear I am only communicating with you for the sole purpose of exchanging such general information, and nothing more. It is not legal advice, which I can not provide because among other reasons I know few of the necessary details of your situation. I do not purport to represent you in any way, shape or form. Of course, if you would like to seek out my services, and if you are a NY resident, I will probably not put up very much resistance but representation would still necessitate a signed retainer agreement between yourself and I. Thank you.

Yes, this fee can be collected from you by regular collection processes, reported on your credit report, and can even cause you to be ineligible for future student financial aid. I know of cases where this kind of debt caused administrative embargo (freezing -- no report) of college transcripts and the consequences of that are vast. Not worth it. College debt is not the kind of debt to get stubborn and self-help about.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law