When I sue a landlord for deposit refund do I need to list my DBA on the Small Claims form?

Asked over 2 years ago - Escondido, CA

There is something on the form about this but I am not sure what it means? My DBA was at this rental property's address but I dont understand what the purpose of this is for?

If I dont list it then what can happen?

Does that mean my DBA is getting sued if they counter sue?

Does that mean the DBA goes on my credit report as being sued if they win?

1. 1

1

Answered . If the DBA is on the lease, then you need to list the DBA on the SC-100 form. You ALSO need to fill out Form SC-103, a Fictitious Business Name Statement in order to file. I have successfully had cases dismissed on appeal because the plaintiff did not comply with the law that they are required to fill out this form and turn it in at the same time as the lawsuit.

The form is at: www.courtinfo.ca.gov.forms/fillable/sc103.pdf

If you have other questions, be sure to speak with a lawyer that knows about Small Claims.

2. 1

Answered . A "dba" is not a legal entity--it is your business name, but the "dba" is still you. A "dba", or what is known in law as a "sole proprietorship," cannot sue or be sued in the name of the business.