When I submitted my quitclaim deed for recording the clerk asked if there was any money exchanged. Why would they ask that?

Eatonton, GA |

quitclaim had $1.00 inserted

Because in Georgia there is a transfer tax based on the value of the transfer which is to be collected at the time of transfer. There are limited exceptions, for example, a transfer between spouses. Its not clear from the information whether a transfer tax would have been due or whether there may be an effort to collect it at a later date.

Disclosure: This answer and any information contained in this answer is not intended to be treated as legal advice. It is for informational purposes to educate about legal issues. You should contact an attorney for specific legal advice for your situation. Specific legal advice based on full knowledge of your specific situation and all facts may differ from general information. This posting does not create an attorney-client relationship or privilege of any kind. This attorney actively licensed only in the State of Georgia. If this is a Georgia matter, you may of course contact me to discuss possible representation. FEEDBACK: Both AVVO and other readers are interested in your feedback on the quality of the answers. Please check the “thumbs up” symbol if you find an answer helpful.

Most deeds have lingo noting the "consideration". Not sure of the full history but Warranty Deeds typically list $10 and other good and valuable consideration, QCD's usually have $1. That's the deed, but what the clerk was really asking is how much $$$ was exchanged for the property? As noted, it's due to the transfer tax of $1 per thousand ($10,000 sale = $10, $100,000 = $100)

Just plain over-the-counter commentary, no lawyer-client relationship created. Seek your own counsel for true 'legal' advice. This is just an off-the-cuff response to a short question on the web; not to be construed as legal advice.

Great!!! Thanks for answering my question!

Frank Wanner Wagner III

Frank Wanner Wagner III

all good!

There is a tax on the sale of real estate. They ask for the amount of consideration so that they can compute the amount of tax owed.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.