Skip to main content

When I sign papers for divorcee and its uncontested how long do I have to wait for it to be final?

York, PA |
Filed under: Divorce

Signing papers on Monday in Lebanon county, Pa

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It depends which papers you are signing. Are you signing the papers accepting service of the complaint? If so, you must wait 90 days from the date you sign the acceptance of service and then the filing attorney will provide additional paperwork to sign before a divorce can be finalized. If you are signing an affidavit of consent and waiver of notice of intention, then once you sign those and the other party signs similar documents, then the attorney will need to draft a praecipe to transmit the record and submit it to the court. Once the court has reviewed the praecipe and makes sure everything is in order, a judge will sign the decree in divorce and it will be sent to you. It can be as short as a few days or as long as a few weeks depending on how quickly all papers are signed and how fast the attorney drafts and files the praecipe to transmit and how long it takes the judge and court staff to review the file to make sure everything is in order before signing the decree.

The above answer is intended solely for general informational purposes and does not create an attorney client relationship. You should consult with an experienced attorney regarding all of the details of your particular situation before taking action.


It depends on whether there is a waiting period and how backed up the court is. For example, in California, there is a mandatory six month waiting period. I recommend consulting with a divorce attorney in your state for a more accurate time estimate. Best of luck.


It depends on what papers you are signing as well as on what kind of divorce you are pursuing. One has a 90 day waiting period and one does not

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer