When i punch out for the night i am told that i am not allowed to leave until everyone is done.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Ellenville, NY

I work in New York and my employer tells me tha we cannot leave the building until every single worker is ready to go home. Yet i am being told that i have to punch off the clock when i am done with my specific duties. Do I have to stay even though i am not getting paid to stay?

1. Ryan M. Finn

Pro

3

Answered . Your employer should be paying you for all time you are at the Premises. This is a violation of Federal and State Wage Hour laws. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss. This could very well be something that many employees have in common and this could be an expensive mistake by your employer.

2. Arthur H. Forman

Pro

2

Answered . In general, unless you are free to leave, you must be paid. For more info contact the US Dept of Labor, Wage and Hours Division.

3. Vincent Peter White

Answered . You may have a viable claim for that time, speak to either the NYS department of labor or an experienced employment attorney.