When I'm adopted as an adult do i have to change my last name?

Toledo, OH |
Filed under: Family law

Im 26 years old and my aunt is going to adopt me since she pretty much raised me and my mom hasnt been in my life since i was 16. In the adoption petition it asks for a new last name. I would like to keep my current last name and dont want to change that.

I recommend calling an adoption attorney in your state to confirm the answer to your question. I can tell you, however, that most states' adoption statutes usually always make it a choice whether or not to get a name change along with the adoption. In other words, you can decide to keep your current name, but go through with the adoption, so that legally your parentage will change but your name stays the same. In Georgia, even for the adoption of juveniles, the petitioner has the choice whether or not to change the child's name. Most likely, you can just write "non-applicable" on the form, where it asks what you want your name to change to, or you can list your current name.

Good luck!

I am licensed to practice solely in Georgia, and do not intend to give legal advice or create a lawyer/client relationship. Please consult an attorney in your state for detailed advice on your legal question.

2. No, you do not have to change your name.

Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

3. You absolutely do not have to change your last name. Of course, I assume that you've talked this over with your "new" parents but even if they disagree, you don't have to.

I hope that this information is helpful to you. If so, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer." The information provided here is general in nature and is not to be considered legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is intended nor created. As an Ohio attorney not licensed in any other jurisdiction, any information provided here is solely based on Ohio law and general legal principles. The information provided here should not be put into practice without specifically consulting an attorney in your jurisdiction. Do not proceed without first discussing this matter with your own local attorney.

4. You are not required to change your last name but you do have the option.

If this information was helpful to you please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer." The information provided here is general in nature and is not legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship intended or created. As an Ohio attorney not licensed in any other jurisdiction, any information provided here is solely based on Ohio law and general legal principles. The information provided here should not be put into practice without consulting an attorney in your jurisdiction. Do not proceed based upon the provided information without first discussing this matter with an attorney in your local area.