When I buy a property with a quit claim deed, do I get the full ownership of the property?

Asked over 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

If not, who is the owner of the property and what rights do I have?

The property is located in a state different from where I'm at.
If quit claim deeds have no warranties, what is the purpose of this legal document and why is it legal at all? Why are people buying properties knowing all they're getting is a quit claim deed?

1. Richard Edmund Hawkins

Pro

2

Answered . You get whatever the grantor owned.

I could issue you a quitclaim to the Brooklyn Bridge without wrongdoing--it would transfer the nothing that I own.

Quitclaims are subject to mortgages, other (mostly recorded) liens, and other pitfalls.

You should have a lawyer actually review what you're doing here.

2. Boris A. Avramski

Pro

1

Answered . Mr. Hawkins is right. A quit claim deed transfers whatever rights the previous owner had in the property without any warranties. If he had nothing you got nothing, if he owned everything you got everything, including any and all liens. Be very careful when obtaining ownership in real property via a quit claim deed. You should consult an attorney who can research the county records for the property and advise you properly.

3. Michael T Millar

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . I am not a NV attorney, laws vary from state to state, therefore you should always consult a local attorney.

It depends on what you mean by "full ownership". A quitclaim deed conveys the grantor's interest to you - but that interest is subject to all liens, judgments or other encumbrances.

Rather than quitclaim deed, you should request a warranty deed - such as a bargain and sale deed. You should also conduct a title search with judgment and tax searches to see what you are getting and get an affidavit of title from the grantor.