When hire an attorney for probate court?

My mother's husband of 13 years passed away. His son from previous marriage is named executrix of the estate in the will. He decided to go through a probate and hired a lawyer to deal with estate. Does my mother need an attorney as well?

Deerfield Beach, FL -

Marian Audrey Lindquist

Marian Audrey Lindquist

Probate Attorney - Fort Lauderdale, FL

If your step-father had assets in his name alone and had a will naming his son as personal representative the son had no choice but to probate the estate. That's the only way you get the asset. I think it would a very good idea for your mother to consult with an attorney to be sure she is protected. If she was left out of the will, she still has rights. If she was in the will, but is concerned she may not receive all that she is due, she should have an attorney. I am your county and would be happy to speak with you about this 954-567-4100.

Robert Jason De Groot

Robert Jason De Groot

Probate Attorney - Deltona, FL

Yes, your mother needs to at the very least consult with a probate attorney in the area.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239
Liz Consuegra

Liz Consuegra

Probate Attorney - Coral Gables, FL

Yes your mother will need the advise of an attorney. If the will was executed by your step father prior to the marriage, she could be considered a pretermitted spouse, allowing her to inherit 50% of the probate estate. On the other hand if the will was done after the marriage, your mother may still be entitled to 30% of the total assets-unless she waived these rights via a pre/post nuptial agreement. I would consult with an attorney right away to determine her rights to his estate. The attorney from your county who answered above is a good attorney well known in this area of the law and has a stellar reputation, I would suggest you contact her as well.

Rani Kay Sampson

Rani Kay Sampson

Probate Attorney - Wenatchee, WA

Ms. Lindquist is correct. She's a good attorney and she works in the same county where the will is being probated. I recommend you accept her offer and talk with her about your mother's situation.