When getting married do they check for warrents

Asked about 2 years ago - Augusta, GA

like if one of us had a warrent but really isnt sure if one do then would they still check for warrents and if one does have a warrent would they go straight to jail from the court house

1. James Kevin Hayslett

Pro

6

Answered . I've never seen that occur and I've seen A lot of weddings at the courthouse. Typically the background search for warrants is different than the one that is done to issue a marriage license.
    That being said I would invest some money in an experienced criminal defense lawyer to assist you with getting the warrant withdrawn so you can begin your new life in peace.

2. Daniel Ellis Rice

3

Answered . In Georgia, there is no background check for people applying for a marriage license. You just fill out the form at the probate court, pay the fee, and follow the instructions. The probate court doesn't care why you are getting married (so long as you satisfy the statutory requirements for it), and they are not the police.

If you are concerned about the possibility of a warrant, I suggest you hire a criminal defense attorney (at least on a limited basis) to check around and see what they can find out and let you know.

3. Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

3

Answered . Not to my knowledge, but warrants have no shelf life and do affect you in the most unpleasant weay as you risk of being arrested in a mere traffic stop anywhere in the country for instance.
    Have the warrant quashed as soon as possible.

4. Darrell Brinnett Reynolds Sr.

Answered . It is possible and if there is a warrant then upon the arrest of that person they would go straight to jail.

Darrell B. Reynolds,
    Attorney and Counselor at Law
    2385 Lawrenceville Highway, Ste D
    Decatur, Ga. 30033
    404-636-6616

5. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

1

Answered . It's not typically on the questionaire for the license so it is doubtful they will check!