When getting married do they check for warrents

Augusta, GA |

like if one of us had a warrent but really isnt sure if one do then would they still check for warrents and if one does have a warrent would they go straight to jail from the court house

1. I've never seen that occur and I've seen A lot of weddings at the courthouse. Typically the background search for warrants is different than the one that is done to issue a marriage license.
    That being said I would invest some money in an experienced criminal defense lawyer to assist you with getting the warrant withdrawn so you can begin your new life in peace.

2. Not to my knowledge, but warrants have no shelf life and do affect you in the most unpleasant weay as you risk of being arrested in a mere traffic stop anywhere in the country for instance.
    Have the warrant quashed as soon as possible.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

3. It's not typically on the questionaire for the license so it is doubtful they will check!

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

4. In Georgia, there is no background check for people applying for a marriage license. You just fill out the form at the probate court, pay the fee, and follow the instructions. The probate court doesn't care why you are getting married (so long as you satisfy the statutory requirements for it), and they are not the police.

If you are concerned about the possibility of a warrant, I suggest you hire a criminal defense attorney (at least on a limited basis) to check around and see what they can find out and let you know.

5. It is possible and if there is a warrant then upon the arrest of that person they would go straight to jail.

Darrell B. Reynolds,
    Attorney and Counselor at Law
    2385 Lawrenceville Highway, Ste D
    Decatur, Ga. 30033
    404-636-6616