When getting Disorderly Conduct what does Conditional Discharge mean exactly?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Staten Island, NY

In terms of my record?

1. Caitlin Donahue

Answered . Disorderly Conduct is a violation and not a criminal level offense. If you are convicted of or plead guilty to a disorderly conduct, your record includes a violation conviction. If that is the only charge, you can state that you have not been convicted of a crime if you are asked. A conditional discharge is basically a revocable sentence. It requires that you stay out of trouble for a specified period of time (generally one year for a violation) and complete any conditions that the court imposes on you (e.g. restitution payment, drug programs, community service, etc.), or else you face a violation of that conditional discharge which can lead to additional punishment. In most cases, these violations get sealed from your record after the one year period. If you have not been sentenced yet, it is a good idea to address the sealing at the time of sentence. Some jurisdictions, Nassau in particular, ask for the defendant to waive sealing at the time of sentence, so it is worth addressing at sentence to be sure that it will be sealed. If you have already been sentenced, you can contact the Department of Justice to find out what is on your record.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . A Conditional Discharge is like unsupervised probation. It has a list of things you can't do such as commit a new crime. A judge can also add other terms such a community service. In terms of your record, it keeps the case from sealing immediatly and does not seal for 1 year unless the judge orders a shorter date.

3. Richard C. Southard

Pro

Answered . It means that you must meet the condiions of your case as set by the judge for the case to be discharged and in the case of a violation such as disorderly conduct, for t to be sealed. The conditions may include, community service, paying fines or surcharges, abiding by orders of protection, completing any programs and not driviing if you were instructed not to. It also includes that you not get rearrested. If you fail to complete any of the conditions the judge can resentence you up to 15 days jail.

4. Howard A. Schwartz

Answered . A conditional discharge is basically a contract between you and the court where you agree to stay out of trouble for a year. There may be other conditions such as the payment of a fine, restitution, abiding by an order of protection or completion of a program. You have no criminal record, from this case, as a disorderly conduct is a non-criminal offense. Usually, the case will not be sealed until the one year period on the conditional discharge has passed.