When filling out USCIS forms, should I ignore the fact that I have more than 1 middle name?

Seattle, WA |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

I have four middle names. I have only used my first middle name in previous filings with the USCIS as none of the USCIS forms accommodate multiple middle names.

Now that I'm filing for permanent residence through marriage, I will be submitting my marriage contract and birth certificate as evidence. Both documents mention my four middle names.

When filing I-485,
* should I write a statement on a separate piece of paper pointing out the above?
* should I mention my middle names in the box "All Other Names Used" as in Form G-325A?
* can I just assume that they will recognize that my first middle name on all forms is the same and that they will conclude that I was not trying to deceive them but rather that their form does not accommodate my full name?

Thank you for your time.

I think you will be fine. Yes, you should mention your other middle names in the "other names used" section. Best wishes.

This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

You will be OK, don't worry! Yes, you can mention (list) all your other names in either "all other names used" or "also known as" section(s).

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

You must disclose all your middle names. You should have competent counsel represent you and they can advise how to handle. If you do not then be advised it will come up at your interview. Must disclose - get help before you file and also to represent you at your interview.

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication.

The name you put on the I485 is the name that will be on the green card. Put the name you actually want to use, and then put the total name in other names used as birth name. Yes, you are right.

This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.

For my clients, I fill out that box ("All other Names Used") if there are any discrepancies in their names between their identity, birth documents, previous forms, or any other relevant documents. If there is a complication or any other issue I am concerned about, I mention it in the cover letter. You mentioned for previous forms you didn't have space, just FYI for the future, in terms of there not being space, I always hand write things that will not fit. Finally, I never assume they they will recognize anything. Best of luck to you.

Be advised that the above answer is not legal advice. Answers offered on Avvo are not in response to all the relevant facts, are of a general nature only, and do not create an attorney-client relationship.