When filling on Schedule F for chapter 7, what is the best way to list multiple creditors for the same account?

Madera, CA |

I understand this form should be in alphabetical order. However,
when listing multiple creditors for the same account on schedule F, would It be best to list the original creditor first/description/amount, and directly underneath...the collection agency tied to that account with " " for the description. OR list all the original creditors, and on the last page list all the collection agencies, but nothing in the description column?

It doesn't matter which creditor gets listed first or how the additional creditors are described. They can be listed as "same as" "representing" "additional notice" "notice only" or any other description you wish to use. Of course, you only include an amount of debt for the 1st creditor on this list.

Hope this perspective helps!

My personal preference is to list them alphabetically because that works best with my organizational methods. As for the original creditor that is where I would place the amount and date of the claim. As for the collection agencies or others assisting in the collection of the original debt just list them as notice only and do not include an amount because it will overstate the total amount of your debt. It really does not matter that much how you do it as long as you get them listed. You should do it in a manner that makes sense to you and that will help keep you organized if the trustee wants to question you about any of it at your meeting of the creditors.
Hope this helps.

The ideas and opinions expressed in this comment are generalities only and not based upon a thorough analysis of your situation or the law that might apply to you. As such they are intended to be general guidance and not legal advice. Use this information to assist in your analysis as to what you want to ask an attorney when seeking legal advice, Nothing stated herein shall be deemed to create an attorney-client relationship with you nor legal advise for you to use.

My personal pr eference is to list the original creditor first with the amount. The remaining creditors can have a description of either "duplicate", "duplicate collection creditor", or anything you want to indicate it is not a new creditor. Depending on whether you are using a software package you can listed the originial creditor in each of the duplicate account so they know which debt it is duplicating.

This answer in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. The answer is not a complete answer and requires additional facts in order to provide the best options. The submitter accepts the risk of relying on such an incomplete answer and waives any claims of damages for doing so. As stated in the answer the submitter should contact a qualified bankruptcy attorney is discuss these issues further before any action is taken. Any action taken without advise and counsel of a qualified attorney is inadvisable.

Most important is to make sure that all known parties, whether original or subsequent colleciton agencies, are listed on the creditor matrix so that they receive notice of the bankruptcy.

Advice on this forum is for informational purposes only and should never be mistaken as a substitute for legal advice. If you are in need of legal advice, you should consult local legal counsel.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt