Skip to main content

When filling for an extention of a restraining order. How is the service on respondent done?

Miami, FL |

This person moves often, making service difficult. In DV restraining orders aren't the respondents suppose to file change of address with the court? Can a respondent be served by mail to the last address? Or has to be the sheriff's dptm?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The Respondent has to be personally served, unless he/she is represented by counsel.


I agree with my peer on his answer and will add that if your allegations are serious and you can prove you are still in danger, the Judge may extend the injunction until the Respondent is served if it has not expired and if he/she can procedurally do so. You must still give the Court and the Judge all information you have regarding his new address or addresses of family members if you have them. Good luck to you.

This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer