When filing and serving a cross-complaint, should a Summons also be served to the Plaintiff?

I suspect my former attorney never served a Summons when he served the cross-complaint because there is no record of a Summons on file. What happens when plaintiff is not served with cross-complaint with no Summons? If a summons is needed to be served to plaintiff, can I remedy situation by serving a amended cross-complaint with a Summons to plaintiff now?

Van Nuys, CA -

John Joseph O'Brien

John Joseph O'Brien

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - San Diego, CA

Anyone named as cross-defendant who is NOT already a party to the action must be personally served with a summons on the cross-complaint, along with the cross-complaint itself (the same procedure as with a complaint). Parties already existing in the lawsuit are simply served with the cross-complaint (mail is fine).

From your question, it seems you've filed a cross-complaint against the plaintiff who sued you (who's clearly already in the action), so no summons is necessary.

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Litigation Lawyer - San Marino, CA

A Summons On Cross-Complaint is not necessary if the sole cross-defendant is the plaintiff in the same case. A Summons on Cross-Complaint is only necessary if new/additional parties are being brought it. Otherwise, service of the future pleadings on counsel of record is sufficient.

Constantine D. Buzunis

Constantine D. Buzunis

Litigation Lawyer - San Diego, CA

I agree with attorneys O'Brien and Chen.