When filing an I-864 should my husband calculate his projected income or previous income from tax returns?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Brooklyn, NY

My USC husband is filing an I-864 for my greencard. Do we calculate his projected income for 2013 or do we use his income from previous years for his "individual anual income?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You use his current income but indicating monthly and not annually; Keep in mind that USCIS is allowed to rely on the previous year income tax

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  2. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is either ACTUAL income, i.e. what he is currently earning, or the income reflected on his most recent tax returns.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is either based on his prior return, or actual income he can show that he earned

    This message is intended as general information and does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are... more
  4. Answered . It's current individual income. If the individual income is not enough, he has to find a joint sponsor.

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may... more
  5. Answered . You can use his most recent annual federal tax filing at a minimum. The Immigration Service can look at your last 3 years of filings at most. I see no need to offer projected earnings for 2013 unless you are lacking sufficient past earnings to demonstrate financial ability in accordance with the poverty income guidelines set by the government.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Sponsoring an immigrant

Petitioning for, or sponsoring, an immigrant allows you to help a relative immigrate to the United States, if certain conditions are met.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,996 answers this week

3,866 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,996 answers this week

3,866 attorneys answering