When filing an I-864 is our co sponsor only a joint sponsor or the petitioner?

New York, NY |

My USC husband's parents are co signing on my green card. When filing out an I-864 are they a) Petitioner or d) only the joint sponsor?

1. Both petitioner and joint sponsor MUST file an I-864 even though petitioner has no income or low income.

Garmo Law Group, PLLC (Michigan) 248-626-0050. This advice is only general in nature and does not constitute an attorney/client relationship. Speak to an experienced attorney before making decisions.

2. BOTH the petitioner and the co-sponsor must EACH file their individual I-864s.

The petitioner, as the sponsor, MUST file an Affidavit, irregardless of whether he or she had any income. That's the law

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

3. Both

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.