I am from Brasil. My current situation:
I am living in Philadelphia with my boyfriend and on a F-1 and I decided to defer enrollment to my college until next semester. Without realizing it, this killed off my F-1 and I was told I need to leave in 9 days from today. (15 days from when they filed my leaving class)
Could I file an I-539 to change my status over to a B-2? I already have a tourist visa for the United States.
Given that I have 9 days, would this allow me to stay over while waiting for their judgement? I've read that if they say no, they will cancel my B-2 visa, is this true?
Once you are out of status you are not eligible to file for a change of status to another classification. The 9 days are just courtesy time to leave the U.S. not status if you stopped going to school.
Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration Law
2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
Fax: (619) 923-3277
Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law
Get free answers from experienced attorneys.
25,176 answers this week
2,663 attorneys answering
Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.Browse our legal dictionary